Reconciling Conversations

The Reconciling Conversations Group is part of a growing group of United Methodist individuals, congregations, campus ministries, and other groups working for the full participation of all people--including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people--in the life of the life and ministry of the church.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Wannie Hardin: Finding a Home in an Urban Church

It was the first week in my new appointment at First United Methodist Church in Charlotte when the secretary informed me that a young man named Bill had called and made an appointment to see me that day. When he arrived, he came into my office and introduced himself as a member of the church who had not been very active. After the typical introductory chit-chat, he said, “The reason I’ve come today is to meet you and let you know that I am gay and I have AIDS, and I want to know if you will be my pastor.”
            My previous two appointments had been in suburban churches where it seemed every family unit was a mommy and a daddy and two children. Here in the center of uptown Charlotte was my introduction to a different cultural setting and an important new kind of ministry.
            “Of course I will be your pastor!” was my immediate response. We went on to talk about his situation and his having to live back at home with his parents because of his illness, and then we prayed together. Over the coming months I hope I was able to be a pastor to him until he succumbed to the disease.
            It did not take me long to get to know many of the gay men in that congregation, each with a unique story. Many had come to Charlotte from small towns in North Carolina to work in this center of the banking industry. While they found many churches not welcoming to them, they had found in our uptown church a place they could feel comfortable and be involved in a worshipping community.
            Over the six years of my ministry in that place, I came to know and appreciate many of these individuals. On our church staff were two gay men who shared with me their stories of struggles in their lives around relationships and identity. One had been married at a young age and had fathered a son who was now an adult and from whom he was estranged.
            My wife and I had the privilege of being dinner guests in the homes of several gay couples who offered us their hospitality. A number of these gay church members assumed positions of leadership including teaching Sunday School, assisting in worship, serving on such committees as Staff-Parish and Trustees, and supervising the church kitchen.
            I came away from those six years as pastor of that congregation grateful that I had had the opportunity to come to know these children of God and realize how many gay persons are deeply spiritual and hungry for a worshipping community where they are fully accepted. I sincerely believe God’s love is inclusive of all his children who share life with us in this world. Jesus modeled that love in his acceptance of all persons, often those shunned by the society of that day.

 I want very much to be part of a church community that is truly welcoming to all persons, including those of the LGBT community who so often feel rejected by the church in many ways. Let us truly open our doors and hearts in reconciliation and be a church welcoming all persons!