Reconciling Conversations

The Reconciling Conversations Group is part of a growing group of United Methodist individuals, congregations, campus ministries, and other groups working for the full participation of all people--including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people--in the life of the life and ministry of the church.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Ken Johnson: How My Mind Has Changed

While my parents contributed in important ways to my upbringing, my knowledge of “the birds and the bees” had to wait until a biology class at Davidson College gave me basic knowledge about human sexuality. I received almost no information about it in school or at home. Reluctantly, I must admit that when my college class viewed a film on childbirth, I fainted! I had much to learn.
 Schoolmates sometimes described fellows as “queer.” I learned later that “gay” is a term applied to homosexual men and “lesbian” a term applied to women. I also was under the impression that homosexuals were not only different but were afflicted with some kind of disease, until the American Psychiatric Association in 1973 declared it was not a mental disorder.
 Then came the debates about the cause of homosexuality. Did it result from some genetic strain, or did it come from one’s environment? After trying to educate myself on the subject, I came to the conclusion that just as I did not choose to be heterosexual, neither do homosexuals choose their identity.
 Do you remember the University of Massachusetts basketball guard Derrick Gordon? In early April, he became the first openly gay player in Division I of college basketball. Darryl, his twin brother on the team, was shocked at the news. Same family. Same father and mother, yet different in sexual orientation. Although two of our five children are left-handed and three are redheads, none of them chose to be that way; likewise, I think, Derrick Gordon had his sexual orientation from birth.
 The term homosexual is never mentioned in the Bible, yet one discovers different interpretations of human sexuality in it. Clearly, the practice of homosexuality is condemned in several passages, most notably in Leviticus and Romans. Any probe of these passages will explain why Christianity is so divided on the subject.

 In a nutshell, here is how my mind has changed: I now believe that the Bible’s label of “good” for all of God’s creation and Jesus’ teachings about God’s love for all people—including lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender children—trump everything else with regard to our sexuality. As my friends at a former parish in Winston-Salem are fond of saying, “All really does mean all.” Jesus did not discriminate, nor should we. His words to some ancient fishermen are the same words to us. Follow me . . . (Matthew 4:19).