Reconciling Conversations

The Reconciling Conversations Group is part of a growing group of United Methodist individuals, congregations, campus ministries, and other groups working for the full participation of all people--including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people--in the life of the life and ministry of the church.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Matt Holmes: The Welcoming Place Christ Wants Our Church To Be

In my personal life and in my work as a physician, I have met many gay and lesbian men and women. It is clear to me that sexuality and sexual orientation is not a choice, but a central part of our being that we come to know as we grow into our adolescence and adulthood. I have watched and witnessed, especially in my work as a psychiatrist, the suffering and fear experienced by gay and lesbian people who have been rejected in our society. I have seen them disowned from families. I am aware that this is a major part of our nation’s problem of bullying. Many have died by suicide as a result of this rejection by families and society. It pains me that many Christians and Christian churches are complicit in this suffering. This is not God’s direction for us; to cause the suffering of others is not part of Christ’s teaching. The interpretation that homosexuality is a sin is as grave an error as using verses in the Bible to justify slavery.
I was raised a Methodist, and for my faith and spiritual development I owe so much to the church, my peers, and my mentors. I want my children to have the same opportunity. Our church has so many gifted leaders who provide a safe and loving community for our children to grow up in. I drifted away from the church in the years before I had children. I struggled not with my faith but around whether to return to a church that has a discriminatory stance towards my gay and lesbian brothers and sisters. How could I participate in an organization that does nothing to stop the pain that so many people I know suffer? After much prayer, meditation, and discussion with those I love, I decided that it was more important to return to my church to give my children the opportunities for growth in their faith that I had.

Equally important to me was to be a part of a movement in Methodism to become a truly welcoming place as I know Christ wants us to be. I want our children to be welcome and to participate fully in the church without fear of judgment, discrimination, and rejection. Ours is God’s house—let our church be a leader in making the United Methodist Church a truly welcoming, open, and loving community of faith.