Reconciling Conversations

The Reconciling Conversations Group is part of a growing group of United Methodist individuals, congregations, campus ministries, and other groups working for the full participation of all people--including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people--in the life of the life and ministry of the church.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Steve Berwager: Following the God of Love

Growing up as a Christian in a fundamentalist Bible church had its challenges, but growing up as a gay Christian in that same setting presented a whole new set of difficulties. Life as a child for me was no different from the so-called norm, but when I came to realize as a teenager that my affections were different from those of other boys my age, I was left searching for answers. I began reading, researching, and talking with professors and ministers. I didn't dare talk to my close friends for fear of losing a good friend or having to deal with rejection. I thought back over my childhood years and family experiences, looking for a cause or reason for me to feel the way I did. As I did so, coupled with my findings from conversations and information gleaned from research, I soon realized that it wasn't the result of any one experience, but rather it was who I was created to be. That realization left me with a peace within and the strength to go on living my life and pursuing my dreams.
I was fortunate growing up because I never had to deal with bullying, which is usually a major crisis for so many gay boys. You see, I was always a "jock" at my school and gave no indication of my sexuality. I didn't feel a need to tell others who I loved, though I was never ashamed to do so if asked. Other gays and lesbians I knew were not so fortunate, my partner included. Shortly after we met, he asked if I would worship with him. Although I felt worshipping together was important to making the relationship work, I warned him that in due time there would be problems within the church, which just happened to be Baptist. Well, it wasn't long before people started talking, after realizing we loved each other. Shortly thereafter, he was asked to quit the choir, and it wasn't long before he left the church altogether. My heart was saddened for him and for the church. People were too busy trying to play God instead of following his commandment to love others. 
There remains much misunderstanding in society about homosexuality, along with condemnation and rejection within the church, but the sure foundation I received as a child from my parents, Sunday school teachers, and ministers has allowed me to continue a life without guilt. Unlike so many others who left the church when they didn't feel accepted, I chose to remain because my love for the Lord was much stronger than any rejection I encountered. There were times when I was not allowed to share my talents in ministry (sing solos, teach Sunday school, lead in prayer), but I felt the support of 90 percent of the congregation. The narrow-mindedness of a few never caused me to lose faith. I've always felt it was their problem, not mine, and I didn't allow their attitudes and prejudices to negatively affect my faith. Those times never lasted long for me, because I found other ways and places to minister and share my talents.

I pray that the time will come when God's commandment to love our neighbors as ourselves will prevail within every congregation and denomination, and people of all sexual orientations will be welcomed and loved. Maybe if we would not neglect the first part of that commandment—to love God with all our heart, soul, and mind—the second part would not be so difficult. I am blessed to be part of a caring, nurturing, and reconciling church and community, and I pray that people of all sexual orientations will be as blessed and be allowed opportunities to share their talents within their churches and communities without fear of being rejected or ostracized.