Reconciling Conversations

The Reconciling Conversations Group is part of a growing group of United Methodist individuals, congregations, campus ministries, and other groups working for the full participation of all people--including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people--in the life of the life and ministry of the church.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

A First United Methodist Church Member: The Gift I've Been Given

As John Donne so famously said, no man is an island. We don’t exist in a vacuum, and when one identifies oneself as gay, it creates a circle of pain. When I finally recognized myself as gay, I knew that I was asking those closest to me, especially my family, to make big sacrifices in order to support me. I agonized seeing the ones I love hurting so much because of me.
Throughout this upheaval I prayed, and I felt uplifted by the sense that I was still in the palm of God’s hand. I was still loved. God was still in control and directing me. I felt guilt over the pain I was causing others, but I sensed God was forgiving me and working in my life and the lives of my loved ones. As I was finding and identifying myself as a homosexual person, I knew with certainty that this was not in itself a sin. I came to regard it as a gift. I did not know where this new road would take me, but I sensed it was where I belonged, that it was my destiny.
I deeply love my life partner. The Bible in the First Letter of John teaches that we love because God first loved us. God is love. Love is God manifested in human relationships. I believe when two people love each other deeply, spiritually, wholly, it is a love from God, of God, sanctified by God.
I often think with amazement at the genius of God the Creator and at the delight God must have expressed when he/she came up with another really great idea. Take rainbows, for example. Now who would ever have thought that up? Or fireflies? Or snow? I can imagine God the Creator chuckling and thinking, “The kids will really love this!”
Why is it so difficult for us to believe that a God who wants to make ten thousand different varieties of trees and millions of different species and is creative enough to want every snowflake different—that that God couldn’t create and bless more than one type of human sexual expression?
There is a popular saying, “God don’t make junk.” On a profound level, I believe that to be true. In Genesis, God declared all that God made to be good. That certainly includes all of God’s children.
It is we, not God, who label God’s children “deviant” and call them “queer.” Doesn’t it seem arrogant that we should so judge God’s creation? God’s own children? Are left-handed people deviant? Are short people deviant? What about blue-eyed people, are they deviant? People are brown and yellow and black and white and gay and straight and bisexual and transgendered. Are all of us not another expression of God’s love for uniqueness in his/her creatures?

 Loving and being loved is not a sin, it is a gift of grace. That gift is often provided to a man and a woman and sometimes also to persons of the same sex. We are very blessed if we find our soul mate. Our sexual orientation is part of our package. It is part of our uniqueness. I am happy with the gift I have been given.