Reconciling Conversations

The Reconciling Conversations Group is part of a growing group of United Methodist individuals, congregations, campus ministries, and other groups working for the full participation of all people--including lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgendered people--in the life of the life and ministry of the church.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Garland Young: My Journey--Turning to the Bible

Twenty-three years ago, we had just employed a new Minister of Music at our Church. He was a lifelong United Methodist. He was baptized in his home church, grew up in Sunday School, was confirmed, joined the Church, and was active in the youth program. He knew church music, was grounded in solid theology, and was a master musician. He was a graduate of one of our United Methodist colleges and had master’s and doctoral degrees from outstanding schools of music. He was active and well respected in our community.
After we added him to our staff, one of our members came to me and asked, “Did you know he is gay?” “We did not ask him that question,” I responded. ”It was not a part of our consideration of candidates.” Our conversation proceeded cordially, partially because we already had gay persons represented in our Christian education area, administrative board, and team of ushers.
Getting to this place in my thinking represented a rather long journey. It began in high school when my awareness of persons who were not “straight” or “regular” centered around Sam, who was spoken of only in derisive terms and at whom some students threw rocks. I had never heard of a girl who might not be “straight.” The terms lesbian and gay were unknown to me.  
In college my knowledge began to broaden. Ray and Brad (not their real names) were both pre-ministerial students and well liked. I had personal appreciation for their sincerity, commitment, and geniality. Both were pre-enrolled in Divinity Schools, and both were gay. Ray dropped his ministerial pursuits because some people convinced him that the church’s doors were not open to gay clergy. I don’t know how he dealt with the pain of the church closing the doors on his call to ordained ministry. I believe the church lost the ministerial services of a promising young man. Brad kept his sexual orientation quiet, finished divinity school, and served successfully in his annual conference until his death. Living a secret life for so long must have been terrible for him. 
Getting to know and appreciate persons of sexual orientation different from mine led to serious rethinking of my attitudes and beliefs. Actually, I came to realize that I did not have any beliefs about the issue, only attitudes mainly shaped by culture. Few people grew up more immersed in Sunday school, church, United Methodist Youth Fellowship and Student Movement than did I. I held leadership roles in all. I remember no teachings on homosexuality. Hence, I have problems with the phrase in our Social Creed that says we find the practice of homosexuality “incompatible with Christian teaching.” In my experience there was no teaching on the matter. There were, however, a lot of attitudes.
I had to turn to the Bible, where I made several discoveries. The first place I looked was the teachings of Jesus and the New Testament. Jesus says nothing about the issue. While that was not enough for me to conclude that Jesus condoned same-sex relationships, it was significant to me that he did not address it.
Paul did have some words to say about same-sex relationships. However, it seems to me that they were set either in the context of Paul’s condemnation of idolatry or were mentioned in the tone of profligate sex. He had nothing to say about two persons of the same sex living together in a covenant relationship. So Paul was of no real help to me in my search, nor was the rest of the New Testament.
I went to the Old Testament. There is not time or space to say much about passages that are found in Leviticus, Genesis, and Deuteronomy. They were not helpful either. They were too tied to either the culture of the day, idolatry, or other laws to which we are not about to adhere, such as killing any adulterer and killing any child who curses his parents. There was nothing relating to a covenant relationship.
Adam Hamilton, in his book Making Sense of the Bible, suggests that Scriptures fall into three categories:
1)      “. . . [T]he vast majority reflect the timeless love of God for human beings, i.e., ‘Love your neighbor as you love yourself’.”
2)      Some passages “reflect God’s will in a particular time but not for all time,” i.e., much of the ritual law of the Old Testament.
3)      Some “. . . reflect the culture and historical circumstances in which they were written, but never reflected God’s timeless will,” i.e., verses related to slavery.

Biblical study, theological discussions with others, and personal friendships with persons who are gay, lesbian, and straight have guided me on my journey to acceptance of all into the full fellowship of those who follow Christ. We are an inclusive, not exclusive, fellowship.